How do we look after pets?
In the UK, it's estimated that 12 million (41% of) households have pets* with around 51 million pets owned. So it is extremely important that we learn how to look after them and show them respect.
This lesson focuses on which animals make good pets and how to care for them. It builds on the work from the lesson we all have basic needs. This lesson includes fun activities such as posters and role play demonstrating the needs of pets and our responsibilities as owners.
Lesson plan and resources
Key Stage 1. Subject: Science, PSHE, Pets, Animals and us.
Included in this lesson plan:
- Starter activities
- Main activities
- Plenary activities
- Extension activities
- Teachers' notes
- Supporting presentation
- At the vets questions (PDF)
- At the vets answers (PDF)
- At the vets teachers notes (PDF)
- The five welfare needs factsheet (PDF)
- Pet's needs factsheet (PDF)
- Presentation - How do we look after pets (Slideshow)
- Presentation - How do we look after pets (PDF)
- Presentation - How do we look after pets teachers notes (PDF)
Many of our resources are also available in Welsh, please download the relevant documents below.
Lesson plan: How do we look after pets? - Welsh (MS Word)
Worksheet: Gyda'r milfeddyg - cwestiynau (PDF)
Worksheet: Gyda'r milfeddyg - atebion (PDF)
Teacher Notes: Gyda'r milfeddyg (PDF)
Factsheet: Y pum rhyddid (PDF)
*Latest available estimated figures from the Pet Food Manufacturers' Association (PFMA).