We all have basic needs
Does your class know the similarities and differences between humans needs and pets needs?
This lesson will introduce the fact that animals have needs just like humans, and that these needs include food, water, companionship, a suitable place to live, being looked after by a vet if they are ill, and the freedom to behave naturally. Have you seen our interactive smiley face game? This asks children to think about what makes them happy and then try and spot any similarities or differences between theirs and an animal's needs.
Lesson plan and resources
Key Stage 1.
Pupils should learn:
- that all humans have needs
- that all animals have needs
- in group discussions, to take different views into account while developing their ideas.
- The five welfare needs factsheet (PDF)
- What do they need? Activity sheet (PDF)
- Presentation - We all have basic needs (Slideshow)
- Presentation - We all have basic needs (PDF)
- Presentation - We all have basic needs teachers notes (PDF)
Many of our resources are also available in Welsh, please download the relevant documents below.
Lesson plan: We all have basic needs - Welsh (MS Word)
Worksheet: Beth fyddai'r anifeiliaid yn ei ddweud (PDF)
Worksheet: Beth yw eu hanghenion (PDF)
Factsheet: Y pum rhyddid (PDF)