What would our definition of litter include?
- Non-biodegradable items, e.g. cans and crisp packets?
- Biodegradable items, e.g. apple cores and banana skins?
Conduct a survey
Where in the school environment is litter a problem?
- Are there any similarities between problem areas, e.g. near sources of food, near exits, where there are no litter bins?
- Are there any areas where there isn't a problem? Can we identify why this might be?
What we can do to make a difference?
- What are farm assurance schemes? Do they all offer the same benefits to animal welfare?
- What changes are possible? Talk to the school meals provider, the school management team and the Food Technology co-ordinator.
- How much do recycling bins cost and where is the most effective place to put these?
Make our ideas happen
- How will we organise this?
- Who do we need to consult before implementing our ideas?
- Do we need to seek permission for some of our ideas?
- How will we know whether our ideas have been successful?
How successful were we at making a difference to the problems?
- What worked well?
- What would we do differently?
- Is there anything else we need to do?
- Do we need to repeat what we have done again, e.g. every six months?
Download a PDF information sheet of these ideas (PDF 84KB).